From the Bros
We are Howler Brothers. We are not really related by blood. But we are bonded by many shared callings: Surfing, fishing, paddling and the good things that come with these pursuits. Things like fire pits, really good tequila, limes, and pre-dawn coffee.
Above all we’re united by a belief in doing things the honest and pure way (which is not usually the easy way). We design and craft all our garments, and everything we make, with these passions and values in mind. Put our products to the test. Heed the call.
Howler founders Chase Heard and Andy Stepanian spent their adolescent summers haunting the waters and fish of Florida and Virginia and riding the ripples those states call waves. Both Heard and Stepanian now live in Texas where they raise families, work hard, make music together, chase fish with fly rods and make runs to the nearest coast or river when the opportunity arises.
Their vision for Howler – and the name Howler Brothers – was inspired by a sound they each heard on surf trips to Costa Rica: the call of the loudest animal in North America, the Howler Monkey. If you’ve heard it, you know how loud and startling the sound can be. But, after hearing it a few times, the sound becomes a part of the collective feeling of being in Central America and serves as a constant reminder that you’re in a good place, doing something you love.
With this emotional connection as a base line, Heard and Stepanian formed Howler Brothers to craft limited run, high quality clothing and goods that draw inspiration from the style and tradition of surfing and coastal sports. They set out to make gear that works in the water, on the boat, and around the fire pit when the stories are told. Clothes you might wear when you’re hearing Howler Monkeys from your hut after a day well spent. Or clothes to wear when you’re wishing you were.
Howler Brothers clothing designs honor the soul, passion and timeless style of sports such as surfing and fly fishing but update historic garment ideas with modern influence from waves, water, geography, fashion and art. Every garment and accessory is crafted with functionality and attention to detail at the forefront. We avoid trendy or overly traditional ideas and use small batch production and collaborations with artists and craftsmen to create original, alternative offerings. Our base of operations, Austin, Texas, is miles from the nearest ocean but provides daily inspiration with its vibrant and diverse creative culture.
Howler Brothers Spring 2016 Highlights:
* Loggerhead Shirts- A technical shirt with plenty of sun protection and "fishy features" that doesn't make you look like a cloned zombie.
* Horizon Hybrid Shorts- the iconic shorts that made Howler Brothers famous. Enough structure to pull off parties and runs to the grocery store but are always ready for an unplanned swim, boat ride or even a fumbled beverage.
* H Bar B Snapshirt- Down there in Austin, Texas, where the Howler Brothers reign from, the western snapshirt is standard fare. But, you certainly don’t have to roam the ATX to rock our H Bar B Snapshirt. Has become one of our best selling short sleeve shirts of all-time.
* Ranchero Polo- Voted as "Shop Favorite" shirt for Spring 2016 up at Mad River Outfitters!!!! Cool up front.....fiesta in the back. This is one polo that is going to turn heads.
* Pescador Shirt- season after season.....the un-disputed KING of fishing shirts. Howler Brothers set out to make the perfect all around fishing shirt; one that works on the boat and in your waders but doesn’t make you look like a giant tropical fruit that got into a knife fight when you go get a beer on dry land......and they did it in spades! Be sure to check out the video link on the website!!!
* Howler Hats- have become the best selling hats that we carry in the shop. These sell out season to season so if you see one you like......wail on it like a Howler Monkey.